Ms Atas adding toppings
When I was studying in New York, a friend who is a priest invited me to his Labor Day BBQ. In USA, Labor Day is traditionally considered the last day to have BBQ. After Labor Day, it gets too cold. The priest gave us a piece of flat dough and asked us to put whatever toppings to our liking. Then he would BBQ the dough… into pizzas! Ever since then, I’ve always wanted to plan a pizza party.
Resident Chef of AFC Studio, Wendy Ong, last seen punching dough, has tweaked the dough recipe so that it is suitable for Singapore’s humidity. The recipe is relatively easy.
We also did a canape pizza, canapizza!
Recipe for Pizza Dough
14×15 inch tray skinny pizza
Warm water (1/2 cup)
Sugar (1/2 tbsp)
Quick rising yeast (1 tsp)
Plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
Salt (1/2 tsp)
Olive oil (1/2 tbsp)
Mix tomato paste (85ml) and tomato sauce (113ml).
The RERG Pizza and Canapizza
1. Add pinch of sugar and warm water and stir. Add yeast to mixture till the mixture bubbles, about 5 minutes.
2. Place remaining sugar, flour, salt and olive oil in a bowl. Add yeast mixture and stir until dough-like. Dust hands and table with flour, knead for 5-10 min until smooth and stretchy.
3. Let dough rise in room temperature until it doubles in size (about 45 minutes).
4. Roll dough until desired thinness for pizza on parchment paper. Put a layer of sauce and add your favorite toppings. Go crazy: instead of the usual mushroom, pineapple, ham, cheddar cheese, bell pepper, you can try smoked duck, unagi, char siew, smoked salmon. For vegetarians, you can add… wait, what do vegetarians eat?
5. Bake in oven at 200 degrees Celsius until base is crisp and browned.
Cannoli is a traditional Sicilian dessert made from fried pastry dough, stuffed with a creamy filling. At first, I thought it would turn out to be overly oily and thick. On the contrary, it was crispy, and the cream added an fluffiness to the dessert. A smidgeon of sweetness will tempt you to reach for a second or third roll. You can prepare the shells a day or two before filling it.
Recipe for Cannoli
Serving: 30 pieces
All-purpose flour (150g)
Sugar (1 tsp)
Chilled butter (12g)
Egg yolk (1)
Icing sugar (32g)
Whipping cream (125ml)
Chocolate chips (100g, optional)
1. Mix flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add butter, yolk and water and mix until dough is formed. Rest dough for 30 minutes.
2. On a well-flour surface, roll dough until paper thin. Don’t be impatient or the dough will shrink when cut. When it is rolled till paper thin, cut the dough to 2.5-inch circles (as pictured above).
3. Wrap dough around metal or wooden tube and overlap edges. Stick the edges with egg white. Deep fry dough in hot cooking oil until golden brown. Cool on paper towel before removing from tube.
4. Mix ricotta and icing sugar till smooth consistency.
5. Whisk whipping cream to medium peak separately.
6. Fold cream into ricotta mixture. And then fold chocolate chips (optional).
7. Put filling into piping bag and pipe into shells.
PS: Thanks, Tripti, Asian Food Channel and Resorts World Sentosa, for the invite.
Written by A. Nathanael Ho.
Categories: 1. Cuisine