Perth Travel Info: Before Getting to Perth
Getting Around Perth and Where to Stay in Perth.
Perth Itinerary Day 1: Perth City
Perth Itinerary Day 2: Rottnest Island
Perth Itinerary Day 3: Fremantle
If you’ve 1 more day, visit Perth Itinerary Day 4: Swan Valley.
If you have 2 days, visit Perth Itinerary Days 4 & 5: Margaret River
SUGGESTED DAY TRIPS FROM PERTH
Photo credit: AQWA
1. Aquarium of Western Australia (AQWA): 25-min drive or hour-long public transport from city centre. Largest walk-through aquarium in Australia. Allow half a day here. For A$159, you can swim with sharks (1pm, or 3pm, diving qualifications required, advanced booking only).
How to Get to AQWA:
Hillarys Boat Harbour, 91 Southside Drive, WA 6025
Tel: +61 8 9447 7500
By car: Take Mitchell Freeway, turn left into Hepburn Ave till the end. At the roundabout, take 2nd exit to Southside Drive. About 25 minutes.
By Train: Take Joondalup line to Warwick, transfer to bus 423. About an hour.
Admission Prices: A$29 (adults), A$17 (children), concession for families and seniors
Opening Hours: 10am-5pm daily
2. Yanchep National Park: One of WA’s oldest national park, a good place to see traditional Aboriginal culture, walk through the koala enclosure, row a boat, or visit a cave. Allow half a day or full.
How to Get to Yanchep National Park
Off Wanneroo Road, Yanchep.
T: +61 8 9405 0759
By Car: Take Wellington St west, turn into Thomas St, which goes to Wanneroo Rd. Go on for 45km. About 45 minutes drive.
Admission Prices: A$10 (adult), A$5 (child)
Opening Hours: 9.15am-4.30pm
3. Whale Watching (Sept – Nov): by Oceanic Cruises.
4. Cottesloe Beach: Known to locals as “Cott,” it is Perthites’ favorite beach for surfing, snorkeling, swimming and watching sun set over the Indian Ocean. Take train from Perth Station and alight at Cottesloe Station, walk 10 minutes to beach.
Photo Credit: Wikipedia
5. New Norcia: a Benedictine monastery town, established in 1847 by Spanish missionary.
6. Swim with Wild Dolphins by Rockingham Wild Encounters, schedule a full day.
7. Penguin Island: can take 2 hours or a full day, depending if you want to use the beach.
Written by A. Nathanael Ho.